“Peruvian” Crunchy Chickpea Salad

“Peruvian” Crunchy Chickpea Salad

Recipes

This salad of awesomeness is my new favourite salad in the whole-wide world.  And I’m not just saying that cause my BFF gave me the idea, alright?

Meal starter, main course, midnight snack — this salad can do it all — it’s delicious, adaptable and, like I said, awesome.  Did I mention I love it?

My inspiration came from a description of a tasty appetizer served at my oldest friend’s favourite Peruvian restaurant in San Francisco.

“Crunchy chickpeas with blackened giant corn kernels, red onions and crumbly cheese,” she said. “It’s soooooo good.”

I came back with this.  I’m not sure if the original dish had a bed of greens underneath, but it seemed the right thing to do.  I picked a triumvirate of hearty winter greens.  Feel free to copy mine, or go out on a limb and choose your own.  Sorrel, if you’ve got it, would be a very nice addition.

The secret to making this the best salad ever is to ensure you’ve got the chickpeas crispy on the outside and melty in the middle.  That takes a good amount of hot oil and patience.  A couple of more minutes in the pan won’t hurt anyone, right?

peruvian salad

THIS RECIPE HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM ISLANDVITTLES.COM, AS IT IS PUBLISHED IN MY E-COOKBOOK, SLOW EATS, FAST, AVAILABLE ON AMAZON.

1. Stephanie @ okie dokie artichokie
    December 3, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Seriously Theresa, this does look awesome! I think anything with chickpeas + cheese + red onions is a winner. :-D

December 4, 2012 at 4:11 am

So healthy and simple…much needed during the heavy holiday eating season.

3. Trysh Ashby-Rolls
    December 4, 2012 at 11:57 am

Definitely a keeper. Love the way you write . . . “melty in the middle… picked a triumvirate of hearty winter greens.” Hmmm!

4. Marc
    May 12, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Just made this for my family for Mother’s Day. Family (and most importantly my Mom) *loved* it!

I used feta instead of queso blanco, which just “felt” right to me. Also, since I know the restaurant uses some kind of crunchy corn, I got myself some Inka Corn (which are akin to Corn Nuts) at Rainbow and threw that in. Really nice and added a great crunch, though the Inka Corn should be added at the last moment, as it will go soft if left in too long.

5. Laura
    June 19, 2013 at 9:57 am

I’ve been staring at this recipe for a while and finally am going to try it for lunch today. But instead of corn I’ll lightly roast some figs I picked up yesterday and probably have to substitute some greek yogurt for the cheese. Can’t wait to try those chickpeas!

June 20, 2013 at 8:29 am

that sounds FANTASTIC, Laura!

• Laura
      June 21, 2013 at 11:29 am

So good I’m having it again today. Also, added garlic & mexican oregano to the dressing for a quick grilled chicken marinade. This one’s going in the recipe box for sure. Thanks, Theresa!

June 24, 2013 at 10:02 am

Great idea for the marinade, Laura! Now that’s cooking!