Dutch Baby with Blueberry Compote for The Secret Recipe Club

Dutch Baby with Blueberry Compote for The Secret Recipe Club

Recipes

Back for another installment of The Secret Recipe Club, the brainchild of Amanda Formaro of AmandasCookin.com and caring den mother to those of us lucky enough to be a part of this fantastic recipe-sharing blog hop.  Approximately 200 of us post over 4 different reveal Mondays every month, making for a lot of action!

This month, I was matched to A Little Nosh.  Amy writes about her life as a wife, mom and a lover of tasty, wholesome food that is easy to fix for her busy family.  One of her most popular recipes is also the one that got my attention right away…I love breakfast, don’t you?

I’ve never had a Dutch Baby, aka Oven Pancake.  My family’s weekend breakfasts were either eggs or potato pancakes.  Waffles were an option in my early life, but once my mother’s pre-war waffle iron packed it in, we never had another one.  So I am very happy to report that I’ve replaced the third option (a mere 34 years later) with Amy’s Mother-in-Law’s recipe.  It’s so easy to put together, you don’t even have to wait for the weekend — get it mixed and in the oven, and you’ve got 20 minutes for a shower before it’s time to eat!

Amy serves her Dutch Baby sprinkled with icing sugar or with maple syrup, but I have bags and bags of frozen blueberries from a bumper BC crop this year, so I decided to make a simple blueberry compote to go with ours.

Once I had the pancake in the oven, I put about a cup of frozen blueberries into a small saucepan over med. low heat.  On top of the berries I sprinkled a spoonful of sugar, the juice of half a lemon and a pinch of salt, and then let it slowly bubble away, occasionally crushing a few berries with my fork to release their juice.  Once it was a nice, syrupy consistency, I left it to keep warm on the back burner.

The pancake is wonderfully eggy like a popover, and the sweetness of the blueberries and tartness of the lemon juice make for a perfectly balanced bite (and the berries count for a serving of fruit, right?)

dutch-baby-blueberry-syrup

: Dutch Baby (Oven Pancake)

• Eggs – 3 large
  • All-Purpose Flour – 1/2 cup (125 ml)
  • Salt – ½ tsp
  • Butter – 3 Tble
  • Milk – 1 Cup (240 ml)
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet in the preheated oven to warm for 10 minutes. While the pan is heating, melt the butter on the stove or in a microwave — melt it all the way — you want it hot.
  3. When the 10 minutes are almost up, whisk the eggs, flour and salt together in a medium bowl. Whisk the hot melted butter in well, and then add the milk LAST and whisk until blended.
  4. Remove the hot pan from the oven, pour in the batter and return to the over for 15-20 minutes, or until puffy and golden.
  5. The pancake will fall almost immediately out of the oven — that is normal.
  6. Slice into wedges and serve with powdered sugar, maple syrup or a quick fruit compote, like the blueberry one described in here.

Preparation time: 10 minute(s)

Cooking time: 20 minute(s)

Number of servings (yield): 6

Copyright © © 2009-2011 Island Vittles/Theresa Carle-Sanders. All rights reserved. Don’t Steal — Karma’s Real.

dutch-baby-pan

1. Aimee @ ShugarySweets
    November 14, 2011 at 5:20 am

Yum. That looks gorgeous, and delish!

2. Emily
    November 14, 2011 at 5:22 am

Wow, this looks really interesting! Your photos are gorgeous, by the way. Love the smiley face mug!

3. amanda @ fake ginger
    November 14, 2011 at 5:24 am

Oooh, I love oven pancakes! This looks fantastic with the blueberries on top!

4. Amy @ A Little Nosh
    November 14, 2011 at 6:32 am

I love the blueberry compote idea! And what great photos. Thanks so much!

5. Susan with Permanent Posies
    November 14, 2011 at 6:47 am

I love a good Dutch Baby. In fact, I think I will cook one for breakfast. I am stopping by from Permanent Posies.

6. Shay
    November 14, 2011 at 7:19 am

Thanks for sharing! Visit me at http://raisingdieter.blogspot.com/ for a giveaway and recipes!

7. amy
    November 14, 2011 at 7:24 am

Yum! Looks great — so fun to be in SRC with you!

8. ButterYum
    November 14, 2011 at 8:26 am

Ohhh baby, baby! I’m pinning this one right away – can’t wait to try it. I hope you’ll stop by and visit my SRC post for Honey Vinaigrette Marinated Grilled Chicken.

ButterYum

9. Jenny @ Savour the Senses
    November 14, 2011 at 8:54 am

I have never made a dutch baby before either. Yours looks delicious, great photos too! Happy to be a part of SRC with you!

10. Miz Helen
    November 14, 2011 at 9:15 am

We just love a great Dutch Baby and this recipe looks awesome! This is a great pick for the SRC! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week.
    Miz Helen

November 14, 2011 at 10:00 am

Oh my oh my how I love Dutch baby pancakes! A perfect breakfast.

12. Kiri W.
    November 14, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Wow, that looks just so delicious! I’ve never made oven pancakes, but that looks beyond tatsy…

13. Lisa~~
    November 14, 2011 at 2:25 pm

We adore these oven pancakes and often eat them for dinner when I can’t think of anything to make.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my group ‘A’ SRC recipe this month: Pork Belly Soup with Collard Greens.

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

14. Eliot
    November 14, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Love that pancake and love that smiley-face mug. What a way to start the day! Great SRC post.

15. Claudia
    November 14, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Oh my – this looks like an enchanted pancake tart. Love it. And love breakfast…. at 11 a.m.. This is wonderfully new to me.

16. Trisha
    November 14, 2011 at 7:23 pm

What a lovely way to start off the day. I think I’d be able to devour this any time during the day though. It looks absolutely divine.

17. Tammy
    November 14, 2011 at 11:26 pm

My husband’s family is part Dutch and I’d never heard of this recipe before. Gotta try it out sometime.

18. Spice Sherpa
    November 15, 2011 at 4:06 am

I’ve made something like this before! I like your version better as it a little less than 1/2 the butter my recipe calls for. The cooking time is longer. I’ve also found that my cast iron skillet is very happy after this recipe—the butter treats it very well. :-)

Thanks!

November 15, 2011 at 10:44 am

Nothing like cooking breakfast and seasoning your cast iron, all at the same time! Theresa

19. Carolyn
    November 15, 2011 at 9:54 am

This looks so delicious, i love the blueberry compote! Sorta wish I was in your group for the SRC, so I could get your blog sometime!

November 15, 2011 at 10:43 am

The feeling is entirely mutual, Carolyn! Theresa

20. Kristen
    November 15, 2011 at 11:30 am

I don’t know if my comment went through or not. Just in case it didn’t…love the sauce. We are big Dutch baby fans.

21. Trix
    November 16, 2011 at 7:09 am

I have never even heard of a Dutch baby – I am thinking that it would work with savory toppings as well? It looks yummy, I love anything egg bakey

November 16, 2011 at 1:02 pm

This is totally up your alley, Trix. It’s eggy tasting, indeed — how about a little bacon and carmelized onion confit for yours? :)

22. Ruby
    November 18, 2011 at 9:21 am

Wow, I am SO making this tomorrow. Thank goodness I saw this on a Friday, otherwise I’d have had to wait all week! :-)

23. Susan
    November 21, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Gorgeous Theresa ! We just had it for a late lunch, yes with blueberries from the farm next door :) AND I resisted dipping into my small stash of emergency white flour and ground the wheat. Used it without sifting the bran and germ out, so the Baby ended up with a beautiful slightly layered look.
    ALSO my square cast iron skillet looked a bit dangerously small, so held back a little of the batter and cooked it on top of the stove in a good non stick pan with a lid – that worked really nicely too – not as fluffy as the oven part – but beautiful.
    thanks Theresa

24. Lindsey
    December 14, 2012 at 10:36 am

This looks delicious! Too bad I don’t have a cast iron skillet. :) If I ever do get one, though, I have a question about the milk. Since everything seems to need to be hot, should I let the milk come to room temp before using it, or is it ok if it is straight from the fridge?