Mocha Hot Fudge (Gluten-Free) for The Secret Recipe Club

Mocha Hot Fudge (Gluten-Free) for The Secret Recipe Club

Recipes

It’s that time again…to let you know who’s blog I’ve been secretly stalking all month…looking for their perfect recipe to share.  This month as part of The Secret Recipe Club, I had the pleasure to peruse Not Rachael Ray.

Rachael may not be of Clan Ray, but after reading her blog, there’s no doubt she’s living her life to the fullest — as a mom, wife, baker, cook, blogger (and Doctor of Physical Therapy (on the side)).

After sifting through her mountain of recipes and tips, I finally settled on her easy-to-make Mocha Hot Fudge recipe.  One of the best decisions I’ve made all week — in less than 15 minutes, I had a pan full of chocolate sauce that Willy Wonka would envy (and the coffee content of which would set his little Oompa-Loompas off into a real tizzy, if you know what I mean).

mocha-hot-fudge-coconut-sorbet

I made a couple of changes to Rachael’s original recipe:  I had exactly 2 tablespoons of rice flour left over in the cupboard, so I used that instead of all-purpose.  I was curious to see how differently the two thicken.  I also used my homemade coffee extract instead of espresso powder, and reduced the sugar by 1/4 cup to compensate for what’s in the extract recipe (which you should really go check out, because the technique is really cool and it keeps FOREVER.)

The result is a thick, pourable, chocolatey mocha fudge that coats the back of a spoon nicely and is delicious over ice-cream.  We had it over our favourite Ciao-Bella Coconut Sorbet.

mocha-hot-fudge-ice-cream

(click on the title below for a printable version of the recipe)

: Gluten-Free Mocha Hot Fudge

: A little coffee, a lot of chocolate. Pour over ice-cream, into warm milk or hot coffee for a caffeine-spiked treat morning, noon & night.

• Granulated Sugar – ¾ Cup
  • Cocoa – ⅓ Cup
  • Rice Flour – 2 Tble
  • Coffee Extract – ¼ Cup
  • Milk – 1 Cup
  • Unsalted Butter – 1 Tble
  • Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
  1. Use a whisk to combine the sugar, cocoa and flour in a small saucepan. Whisk in the coffee extract, milk, butter, and vanilla.
  2. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring continuously, and boil 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
  3. Pour over ice cream, stir into hot coffee or warm milk.
  4. Store in the fridge, covered, for up to 1 week.

Notes:

• Rachael’s original recipe called for 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour – use that if you don’t have rice flour or aren’t concerned about gluten-free.
  • ¼ cup of Espresso powder can be used in place of the Coffee Extract.  Increase the sugar to 1 cup. (Also from the original recipe.)

Preparation time: 5 minute(s)

Cooking time: 10 minute(s)

Diet type: Vegetarian

Diet tags: Gluten free

Number of servings (yield): 12

Copyright © 2009-2011 Island Vittles/Theresa Carle-Sanders. All rights reserved. Don’t Steal — Karma’s Real.

October 17, 2011 at 6:48 am

After my heart!! This looks awesome – and I LOVE Ciao-Bello’s sorbets!

2. Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray
    October 17, 2011 at 7:17 am

Yum! Love your photos and your adaptations. Makes me want to go whip up another batch right now!

3. amanda @ fake ginger
    October 17, 2011 at 7:23 am

I would drink this hot fudge. It looks and sounds amazing!

4. “Is there anyone out there who doesn’t like chocolate sauce on their ice cream? No, I thought not.” You’re kidding, right? Have you disowned me? I may not like chocolate, but I can sure appreciate it’s beauty and this is gorgeous. Fantastic adaptation of the real Rachel’s recipe. I need to go check out your coffee extract now. Unless I’ve seen it before; but I’ve slept since then.

5. BigFatBaker
    October 17, 2011 at 9:11 am

Omg I kept going back to the coffee extract! It sounds like such a good flavor enhancer for chocolate items. I bet it was fabulous in the hot fudge! YUM. I’ll have to finally get down to it and make the extract, I know I could use it for everything :)

6. Shelley Richards
    October 17, 2011 at 10:19 am

Wow this sounds great! I will try your coffee extract and make it your way for sure! Sounds like it would make a decent fondue as well. Mmmm. Thanks!

October 17, 2011 at 10:54 am

Your chocolate fondue idea is pure genius, Shelley! Theresa

7. Miz Helen
    October 17, 2011 at 11:25 am

What a very special treat, your Mocha Hot Fudge looks awesome! Thanks for sharing and it is fun cooking with you in the SRC!
    Miz Helen
    Southwest Chicken and Potato Soup

8. Jeanette
    October 17, 2011 at 1:28 pm

What a treat – so interesting that there’s flour in the recipe, I guess it must be to thicken it.

9. Ilke
    October 17, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Looks perfect!! Love the sauce! Always forget to buy the jar icecrean fudge sauces and get mad at myself when the craving hits!

10. claudia
    October 17, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Wow. Yes – that’s all.

11. Christine
    October 17, 2011 at 7:34 pm

This looks wonderful. Yum!

12. Trisha
    October 17, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Geez, that looks like a killer sauce. I love that you paired it with a coconut sorbet!

13. Kristen
    October 18, 2011 at 5:44 am

I love your photos! I just want to dive right into that delicious looking dessert.

14. RavieNomNoms
    October 18, 2011 at 7:03 am

What fantastic pictures!! This looks great…yum yum

15. Melanie
    October 18, 2011 at 8:47 am

Why do I purchase fudge sauce in a jar? This looks so simple and delicious!

16. Lisa~~
    October 18, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Oh my, so delicious looking and I need to make some!

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my group “A” SRC recipe this month: Levain Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies.

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

17. amy
    October 19, 2011 at 9:42 am

Yum! Looks great! Fun to participate in SRC with you!

18. Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING
    October 20, 2011 at 7:16 pm

That does look A-MAZ-ING!

Thank you for being a part of Secret Recipe Club, I really enjoy this group and being your hostesss. My recipe for this month was Frozen Breakfaast Burritos, even though I made these a few weeks ago for Monday’s post, I just made a second batch today!

If you haven’t checked them out yet, please stop by!

19. Christine
    November 12, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Hey Foodies, Theresa’s Secret Club recipe has been selected by Knapkins to be featured in a Recipe Guessing Game. Invite fans to play: http://knapkins.com/guess_games/598?source=blog

20. Carolyn
    November 25, 2012 at 4:36 pm

That fudge sauce sounds fantastic. I miss the SRC, it just got too crazy for me to continue with it. Nice choice, though!