Homemade Sweet-Chili Sauce

Homemade Sweet-Chili Sauce

Recipes

I like a little sweet heat, don’t you?

Forget the bottled stuff — you can make a batch of this for pennies, and without the additives.

Say yes to homemade condiments!

homemade-sweet-chili-sauceTHIS RECIPE HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM ISLANDVITTLES.COM, AS IT IS PUBLISHED IN MY SLOW EATS, FAST – CONDIMENT COOKBOOKLET AVAILABLE SOON ON AMAZON.

chilis-and-seeds

1. Megan
    April 1, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Looks so simple, we’ll be at this this weekend, just have to find the hot chilis.

April 4, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I used dried red chilis that you can buy in the spice aisle of pretty much any grocery store…nothing exotic.

April 1, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Oh, so many ways to use this!! LOVE it!

3. Tamar
    April 1, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I’m saving this recipe for future use!!!! :)

4. Katie
    April 2, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I’ve been looking for a recipe for this! Thanks – and wholehearted agreement on making your own condiments – and salad dressings!

April 4, 2011 at 2:30 pm

homemade always tastes better, doesn’t it?

5. Tiffany
    April 3, 2011 at 5:58 am

I use this stuff all of the time! I never thought of making it!!! Genius!

April 4, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Tiffany, if homemade condiments were a sign of intelligence, then my fridge door would be in MENSA! Theresa

6. Peggy
    April 3, 2011 at 7:56 am

Sweet chili sauce is one of my favorite things to include in dishes! Can’t believe I’ve never thought to make it on my own! Great recipe! =)

7. SamSam
    April 6, 2011 at 7:31 am

Can you say what kind of chilis these were? My grocery store has about six different kinds of red chilis — skinny Asian ones, fiery Mexican ones…

April 6, 2011 at 9:39 am

SamSam — I was waiting for that question! And still I’m unsure how to answer…see the photo at the bottom of this post? Those are the chilis I used — does that help? The package doesn’t describe them as anything more specific than chilies…and I’m not a chili expert. That said, any dried chilis will do, it’s just a matter of adjusting the quantity. Start by leaving the seeds out. Once the sauce is finished and cooling, taste it for heat. Add some seeds for extra heat if you want — keeping in mind that the sauce will get hotter the longer you store it. Theresa

8. Chef and Steward
    April 9, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Can I tell you how awesome you are for posting this recipe? Making your own is a great way to ensure your knows that what goes in as what you want to be ingesting.. and you can do it just the way you like. We have been inspired and even bought some mild dried chillies to make this due to your influence :)

9. C&C Cakery
    April 9, 2011 at 10:43 pm

You cannot believe how excited I am about this one. You know how most people put ketchup on everything? In my household, we dunk everything in Thai Chili sauce. I love this recipe because you know that the stuff you get in the grocery store is probably full of colouring and unnatural stuff. This recipe is pure goodness. Thank you so much for sharing! I can’t wait to slather my veggies in it!

April 10, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Everyone is saying YES to homemade condiments! Awesome.

10. Lola Lobato
    May 10, 2011 at 7:50 am

Great recipe! because you can enhance a simple meal and make it exotic, just with a touch of the chili sauce.

11. Kristi Rimkus
    July 6, 2011 at 6:44 am

I made this the other day and loved it!

July 8, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I’m so glad you liked it Kristi! Thanks for letting me know…Theresa

12. Andrea {From the Bookshelf}
    August 22, 2011 at 6:40 am

Thank you so much for sharing this! We’ve made it twice since I found out you were my SRC partner! So much tastier than the botted junk!