coffee-extract

Homemade Coffee Extract Recipe

I found this little gem while channel surfing.  PBS came through with an old Julia Child:  Lessons with Master Chefs episode.  I was actually about to move on, because it was a super complicated Viennese Cardinal Slice — not exactly my thing (to make — I’d eat it, but make it?  No.  Never).  But then the Chef, Markus Farbinger, said something about making coffee extract.  Julia was intrigued, I was intrigued.  I hit record on the PVR and sat back to learn something new.

coffee-extract

The potential uses for my new bottle of thick, syrupy go-juice are starting to take over part of my brain.  Coffee ice cream, iced coffees, milkshakes, coffee-cream filled eclairs, tiramisu cheesecake, etc.

And the more of those things you make, the more caffeine (and sugar) in your system.  Which, of course, starts the whole cycle all over again — all night coffee-extract brainstorming sessions, followed by planning, making and eating.

I think I’ll make my next batch decaf…and go get on the treadmill.

sugar-pan caramel

THIS RECIPE HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM ISLANDVITTLES.COM, AS IT IS PUBLISHED IN MY SLOW EATS, FAST – CONDIMENT COOKBOOKLET AVAILABLE SOON ON AMAZON.

caramel-

30 thoughts on “Homemade Coffee Extract Recipe

1. Cristina - Teenie Cakes

I’ve not heard of coffee extract, but what a great idea! How brilliant and that it stores indefinitely. I can think of all kinds of fantastic uses for this. I’d like to give this a try – Thanks for sharing …saving to file :)

2. Steph

Sounds like something that could turn into a must-have kitchen staple! Looks wonderful and fairly easy to make. I especially liked your bit about the ” just-in-case-you-burn-your-hand-off” tip. :p Could prove useful.

3. spice sherpa

Coffee extract! How cool. I’d love to make this and like you am starting to imagine all the goodies doors it opens. :-) And like you, am way too familiar with how caffeine and sugar feed the beast that wants more caffeine and sugar.

4. Cajun Chef Ryan

Theresa,
    I am so glad you found that episode on PBS, I miss Julia Child, she will always be one of those rare gems in the culinary world.
    And this coffee extract looks amazing, we always have left over coffee and this is the perfect way to preserve it for future use.

BTW, I had the fortune of being able to cook with Julia on several occasions back in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s.

Bon appetit!
    CCR
    =:~)

1. Theresa

I’m going to have to figure that google thing out very soon Kristen…;) I’ll let you know when the widget is up…thanks for stopping by! Theresa

5. mohsin

hi theresa . great work.

i am searching for coffee essence to put in cake. do you have any idea about that.

i need a long lasting coffee smell.

plz help me.

1. Theresa

I don’t know…sorry I can’t help you! I suggest asking someone interested in molecular gastronomy…Heston Blumenthal, or maybe SaltySeattle.com. Good luck!

6. Ron

I hadn’t heard of coffee extract either, until I saw a recipe for “John Elways’s Brownies”. It looked good so I thought I would try it, and found that I needed coffee extract. Hmmm. Onto the internet for some quick research on where to find it. What a surprise…$10 plus for 4 ounces! And, according to many reviews, they can be too bitter or too weak. So, more research when I found your site. It looked simple (and was), and does it ever add flavor to the brownies. Wow! Thank you for sharing this wonderful “secret”.

7. sharri

So, happy I ran across your site from another! I have been looking for the coffee extract recipe for awhile now, Thank you for sharing and watching the show for a little longer!!!!! my baked goods are going to be terrific now!! keep exploring and sharing . thanks again

8. gretel schuck

I preheated my no stick pan, dusted the sugar -nothing happened. The heat was on med high to high
    nothing happened, no melting? After 25 minutes I gave up
    Any thoughts?

9. HJ

Does this stuff seriously not go bad on the shelf?? Without any canning process? This is great!! Thanks for the recipe, I am trying it today!